DIY Grounding kit installation/tested & reviewed

Go down

DIY Grounding kit installation/tested & reviewed

Post  Bradlee on Wed May 26, 2010 11:03 am

old DIY i dones a while back

Ok first before we start the discussion, it is very important to know & understand that the grounding kit & voltage stabilizer is NOT a performance enhancing mod! It merely improves: Cars electronics.
From that point on it leads to other attributes such as improved throttle response, improved audio quality, enhanced interior & exterior lighting of car, etc. this than leads to a 100-110% running car.

Ok let’s start.

Ah the basic kit comprises of:
- a voltage stabilizer
- Grounding point cables (5, 7 & 9 point. Mine is a 5 point)
- fixings

Standard kits contain 5 grounding cables, with terminals at either end of the cables. All cables come in various lengths for easier installation. The really expensive kits have gold plated or anodized terminals & more grounding cables.
I’m using a basic kit with 5 points for now.

(pic1)

step 1:
Positioning of the voltage stabilizer unit- The unit has to be fastened close to the battery as it connects to the battery. Ideally position it where the indication marks can be easily read & furthest away form the engine. As you can see I placed mine on top of my fuse box. Use double sided tape to fasten unit down.

*Important note: clean surface area onto which unit is to be fastened on.*

(pic 2)

yes my engine bay is a bit dusty…. :mrgreen:

Step 2:
Connecting the terminals- Once the position is found connect the positive & negative terminals of the unit to the positive & negative terminals of the battery. Red for positive, & black for negative. We did the negative first. The negative terminal required the fixing of an adapter plate as well.
Adapter plates vary in size & shape, pending on kits. Mine had 3 mounting points for the grounding cables.

*Important note: ensure the car is switched off & car radio is switched off. Be careful when connecting & fastening terminals.*

(pic 3)

connect the positive terminal & Oooo a cool “riced-up” light comes on.

(pic 4)

Step 3:
Connect grounding points- Most kits come with a basic diagram layout. Follow it as best as possible. This is a universal ideal for position of grounding points, on your car it may be different. In the case of my D17 we opted for a slightly different setup. The basic grounding points are:
- car’s body
- fire wall
- engine
- alternator
- distributor
you will find existing grounding points on these parts (pending car model). Instead of connecting to the distributor Greg connected it to the Lead wires.

* Important note: ensure the engine bay is cooled, before working on it. Again ensure all fixing points are clean/ed.*

(pic 5)

Step 4:
Checking- check all connection, fixing & fastening points thoroughly.

(pic 6)

Step 5:
Tidying up- all I can say is, cable tires are your best friend! I know its not the prettiest sight in the world & with a 9 point grounding kit your Honda engine bay may end looking like a Subaru’s or the inside of a PC hahahaaaaa. We made everything look as neat as possible on my car. Good thing, Myz the King of cable tires was around to help…

(pic 7)

Well all is done and the end result:

(pic Cool

# Disclaimer: this was the ideal layout for my car, on your car it may differ. This is just a guide line to follow. Read & follow the instruction accompanying your kit first before attempting to install. Kits may differ. When unsure about anything, consult professional help #

My verdict on the product:

So I had it on for just less than 2 days & I noticed the following:
- The headlights on the car were brighter, especially the brights.
- My audio system is more clearer & crisp sounding
- The electric windows run better than previously
- The idle is smoother
- I can feel my vtec change over more than before. (for sohc vtec motors that’s great)
- Throttle response has increased a bit as well.

Again I will state that this is NOT a performance gain mod so do not expect an extra kw or 2. It’s a unit that improves the overall running of one’s car.

I highly recommend this for guys with older model cars & those who have done engine transplants & Frankenstein conversions, you will defiantly notice the difference!
Kits start at R325.00 so it’s well worth it!

Special thanks goes to:

Greg & SSC for installing my grounding kit
& Myz for the help
Thanks guys it was much appreciated!

In depth discussion can be found here: http://forum.9000rpm.co.za/viewtopic.php?id=2173
Bradlee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DIY Grounding kit installation/tested & reviewed

Post  Babyhonda on Fri May 28, 2010 11:19 am

Sweet post Brads where did you get that kit from? Autozone? Midas?, ... and errrr... clean that engine bay Shocked
Babyhonda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bradlee on Fri May 28, 2010 11:33 am

Babyhonda wrote:Sweet post Brads where did you get that kit from? Autozone? Midas?, ... and errrr... clean that engine bay Shocked

got from Jeremy (9000rpm forum) a long time ago.
lol it's been sort of cleaned from that day.
Bradlee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Babyhonda on Fri May 28, 2010 12:50 pm

Ooooo sweet, awesomesauce!!
Babyhonda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content